General Knowledge Quiz. cassell123. 1-2-2012.
Hi,
General Knowledge Quiz. Cassell123. 1-2-2012.
1. How many aeroplanes did an American aviator have to shoot down in WWI to be classified as an ace? 5.
2. Gads Hill Place near Rochester, England, was the residence of which author from 1857 to 1870? CHARLES DICKENS.
3. What name was given to one of a class of murderous robbers in India and Burma who acted in gangs? (not thugs) DACOIT.
4. Name the rich heiress in Shakespeare’s, ‘Merchant of Venice’ who was in love with Bassanio. PORTIA.
5. In competition archery, what is the maximum distance that male archers fire at the target? 90 METRES.
6. Name that part of a submarine designed to withstand the crushing effect of water when submerged. PRESSURE HULL.
7. What was the American equivalent to the British WWII Nissen Hut? QUONSET HUT.
8. Name the alloy of copper and zinc used to imitate gold in cheap jewellery and named after a London watchmaker. PINCHBECK.
9. Whose paintings appeared 318 times on the cover of the American weekly publication Saturday Evening Post? NORMAN ROCKWELL.
10. Name the stock comic character from commedia dell’arte. He wears diamond patterned multicoloured tights and a black mask and is the lover of Columbine. HARLEQUIN.
Labels: generalknowledge

4 Comments:
You must have some pretty clever people at your quizzes !!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for the posts but cant use any of the questions for my crowds.
Ashley
Hello Ashley,
My Sunday night questions are gleaned from the members of Quizmasters Worldwide and are slanted towards a group aged 40 to 71 (I am 71). These rehashed questions go down well and we have an enjoyable night. But, Pat from Rowley Regis (the excellent Bell & Bear Quiz)reminded everyone that question contributions are what's required to keep the group fresh, interesting and viable so I have attempted to contribute questions that may, or may not, have some element of originality. To keep these questions within achievable bounds, each one is subjected to the acid test, "Have I any past knowledge of the answer" and that answer must be 'yes'. I have had feedback from only one contributor that the questions have some merit. May I ask anyone from the group reading this post for their opinion because these questions are culled from text books and are not subject to a live audience so I don't get any feeling of there worth. Thank you for your comments Ashley, keep quizzing.
Regards,
cassell123 (T.Bond)
I have to agree with Ashley here. They are way too difficult for my quizzers. From the ones above there's not one I could use in my main quiz, far too hard. I could use them for the jackpot round possibly though.
The quizzes I set are for people 40 plus also
Not a criticism, simply an observation. :o)
Simon.
HI,
Thanks for your comments. I will have a re-think about standards and presentation.
Regards,
T.Bond. cassell123
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home